Make fresh mozzarella with 2 ingredients in 30 minutes!
This recipe makes about 16oz to 20 oz of mozzarella which is perfect for a homemade pizza with a caprese salad on the side. It comes together in 30 minutes and can be fun rainy day activity. You can alter the recipe amount by changing the ratio of milk to white vinegar ratio. I’ve experimented with this recipe using different volumes of milk; it’s proved to be foolproof every time.
half gallon of milk (1.89 liters) = use 105 mL white vinegar
2.89 liters of milk = use 160 mL white vinegar
- A gallon (or 3.8 liters) of whole fat milk (DO NOT use ultra-pasteurized milk, only raw or pasteurized milk)
- 210 mL of white distilled vinegar
- Food thermometer
- Fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- Large Microwave proof bowl
- Large stock pot that can hold all the milk
- Pour all of the milk into the large stock pot. Heat over high heat while stirring with the food thermometer and keeping a close eye on the temperature. Once the milk heats up to 115F/46C, remove the milk from the heat (the temperature will continue to increase, this is okay). While stirring, slowly pour in all of the white distilled vinegar.
2. Continue stirring for 1 minute. Then cover the stock pot with a lid and let it sit for 20 minutes undisturbed.
3. After 20 minutes, strain out the cheese curds using the fine mesh strainer. Discard or keep the whey, the leftover liquid from the milk separation. There are many uses for whey such as using it in smoothies and watering plants but personally I discard it because I don’t like the sour smell.
4. Place the cheese curds into a large bowl and with very clean hands (this is the fun part!) gently form the curds into balls by pushing out the liquid whey until they come together. The process resembles making a snowball. Don’t squeeze the curds too much otherwise the cheese will be tough. The size of the balls can vary at this stage.
5. Once the balls can stand on their own without falling apart, microwave them for 30 seconds in the bowl. Using a wooden spoon or rice paddle, knead the balls together. Then microwave for another 20 seconds.
6. Continue kneading the balls of cheese together until they are cool enough to handle with hands. Then knead the mozzarella with your hands and shape however desired.
7. Store the mozzarella submerged in filtered cool water in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the fridge.